Tuesday, December 28, 2010

New Gets

I must have been a nice woodworker this year, because Santa brought me plenty from the tool store. My first Christmas present this year was a Lee Valley Pocket Marking Gauge.



It is a double ended wheel cutting gauge, 4 1/2" long, stainless steel with hardened steel cutters.

The locking screws bear down on a brass disc, to prevent scoring the shaft which would make sliding the head difficult.



The heads are a beautiful piece of machining, and just large enough to provide an adequate bearing surface while in use.



The cutters are sharpenable, and replacements are available. They are held on by a philips head screw, and fully retract into the head for safe storage.



The blade is a single bevel, positioned to draw the tool tight to the stock. The line formed is crisp, straight, and accurate.



This will become my main marking gauge, and I think that it is one of the best tools for laying out dovetail base lines. Its size is scaled for that type of fine work, and the double head is useful if your drawer sides and fronts are of different thicknesses.

Thanks Thomas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm a woodworker on the Canadian prairie.